Friday, December 01, 2006

Patent Pending


This was all Toby's idea. He wanted a hat with a secret pocket, kept hidden by a giant pom-pom. I didn't get it completely right, but it's right enough and he's being terribly gracious about it. I'd like to say I'll do better next time, but there will not be a next time for this hat. First off, it's the equivalent to two hats knitting-wise (Do I get extra Good Mom points for that?) Secondly, it has a pom-pom on top.

I'm delighted that my sweet boy is totally immune to any sort of fashion standards. He wanted a pom-pom and is not at all concerned with how his peers will react.

The whole pocket thing is kind of a dud. He originally thought it would be cool to have a pencil hidden away, just for those times when you suddenly need a pencil. Or better yet, when your friend needs a pencil and you can pull one out of your hat. What was I thinking? Oh, you can get a pencil in there, but it's no secret ...


I did learn a thing or two (besides how deeply I dislike pom-poms). I did my first provisional cast-on. This was so I could turn around and knit the "pocket" in the other direction. I followed instructions found here. It's very cool, though I must've done something wrong because my crocheted edge didn't unzip as smoothly as it was supposed to. It required more of a zip one/tug one operation. I'll need to work on that. I also did EZ's sewn bind-off for stretchability. I highly recommend it! I made and rejected two pom-poms before Toby helped me with one that made the cut. Pathetic, I know. Makes you kind of wonder about the two that didn't make it.



Toby's Secret Pocket Hat
Pattern: You're kidding, right?
Yarn: KnitPicks Swish
Needles: US #6 Addi Turbo 16" Circs and Susan Bates DPNs

ETA: True confession time: I wrote this post last night and held off posting until I could take daylight photos before Toby headed off to school. He was very accommodating (so accommodating that he missed the bus). BUT he didn't want to wear it to school ..


9 comments:

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

The punchline at the end...didn't want to wear it to school. Hahaha.

I have knit scarves, hats, and socks that J has asked for but of course never wears out of the house. Recently, he asked me for a sweater, and I asked him why I'd bother doing that if he would never wear it. He looked at me dead in the face and told me it would make a good souvenir.
Ummm yah. Right ;-)

J checked out the post too, and said to please tell Toby he said hi!!

kt said...

Marion also begs for knitted items, and has only sporadically allowed others to see her in them.

Hey, all you need is a smaller pencil, dude! Or one of those flexible bendy ones that'd go all the way in and around and make a bit of a brim ridge... 'tho that might look a bit TOO Neanderthal...

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same as KT - just a small pencil and it's perfect!

Your son looks really happy anyways, even if he didn't wear it at school..;) (Oh well, it was only the first day!)

Martina said...

I was going to suggest a smaller pencil too!! So much for originality! Hat looks good though!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I think you two have potential for a great design team, that is a sweet hat.
ps my provisional crochet cast-ons never unzip either. I always wonder if its a myth or if its me knitting into the wrong bumps.

Hilary said...

It's adorable! And he's adorable in it. It's a great color on him. He could totally wear it to school! I keep wondering when Eli will stop wanting to wear his rainbow hat with pompom ... so far he's oblivious.

I think it's great!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely amazing - and yes, you deserve a big lot of "Good Mom" extra points for that!

Anonymous said...

He looks very spiffy - even with the pompom. ;-)

bunchkin said...

I'm not a big pompom fan, but they're growing on me. I agree with the others, a small pencil would be perfect!