Monday, November 26, 2007

California Dreamin'

Just back from a whirlwind week in sunny California. Mostly it was a family visit, though we crammed in as many meet-ups and catch-ups as we could.

One of those meet-ups was with our newest family member and first great-nephew, Lincoln. I couldn't bear to meet him empty handed so I dropped everything and began a pair of socks for him with plenty of time to spare. But then I had that little crochet upset and put the socks aside. That's how I found myself on a southbound flight with my first sock on the needles and a knitting deadline, albeit a very small one, looming. Turns out, when you stop getting distracted, these are a very quick knit. I kitchnered the first one during our layover at SeaTac and knit the next one with plenty of time to spare.


Lincoln's Socks
Pattern: Baby to Toddler Sized Socks by Miriam L. Felton
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug leftovers (less than an ounce)
Needles: US size 1 dpns
Size: These were supposed to be "infant" sized. Lincoln, at three months, still has some growing to do before they'll fit him.

Baby socks basking in the sun on the Fiscalini Ranch Preserve
Cambria, CA

After completing these I was motivated once again by my Minimalist Cardigan. Refreshed and energized, I finished up the second front side and began the first sleeve while still down south. But I also made my way into a yarn store and found my next distraction...

Noro Cash Iroha. Hats anyone?

4 comments:

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Oooo, could we be put on your list for the next visit? We'll come to wherever you are and don't mind overlapping and sharing your time! I feel sort of dorky and socially retarded even asking, but we both read this and got a little sad. We miss you! B+J

Hilary said...

Too cute! I am speed knitting a sock as we speak, but it's not that small and I somehow don't think it's going to be done in time for Hannukah (is it socially acceptable to present just one sock?:)

textilejunkie said...

Oh when they're little everything is so darn cute!

That Cash Iroha looks to darn tempting.

Unknown said...

I love Cambria. I grew up in Atascadero, and have been living in the foothills for the past 4 years (abt 5 hrs away from the central coast). How neat you got to come down for a quick visit and a swing thru the yarn store! Adorable socks.