Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Heading South ..

.. just for a brief sojourn in CA .. I'll be back. I wanted to leave some killer knitting photos on my last pre-trip post, so you'd be breathlessly awaiting my return. Alas, though I have been knitting, I don't have much of interest to show.


The rest of the family thinks we're going to see dearly beloved and greatly missed friends and family. You and I know the truth .. we're going to buy yarn. To keep up the ruse, I've been scheduling visits and filling every available minute so we can see as many of these special people as possible. I'm starting to face up to the fact that once I finally set foot in a yarn store, I'm going to have precious little time. I'm going to have to move quickly. This is not how I like to buy yarn. I fondle, I peruse, I fondle some more and wander and think. I'm actually not so good at just buying what I love without a project in mind. I seem to be lacking some basic stash-building gene. I get immobilized and I remember other impulsive purchases that began without a destination and are still wandering the desert...


For example, this yarn was purchased
over 20 years ago, during my
first Juneau phase. I had gotten "out" -
that is, made a trip to the "lower 48"
and impulsively bought this yarn just
because I loved it. It's 100% silk,
Italian spun boucle and s dusky teal
color that I still like. It's supposed to
knit up at 5-7 stitches per inch and
I have 1400 yards of it. But I've never
figured out what to do with it.

Any suggestions?



So if I'm going to acquire some stash on this trip, I need a plan. I need a list.
  1. Sock yarn. This I can buy without guilt because it says here that sock yarn doesn't count as stash and I, for one, believe what I read.
  2. Books. These also don't count as stash and I'm thinking there are a few I might need.
  3. A Lace Project. I'm aching to start a shawl.
  4. Stash for hats and mittens and scarves. I'd really like to adorn my family in handknits for next winter .. and that means starting soon.
  5. More stash, for umm, rainy days?
I leave you with the view from our front yard. Beautiful (though not well captured) even on a grey and cloudy day:



This is the glacier that left the rock that sits in the yard and under the yarn that Kathy bought. I like the rock. You've seen it before. You'll see it again. If I'm lucky, maybe with some new stash atop it.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Ooh, are you gone already>? Have a great great trip!!! I love the teal yarn! Someone will have a smashing idea for it, I'm sure. Buy guilt-free. And then call me and I'll bring the stuff you couldn't make up your mind about. :)

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I love that view from your front yard, it's breathtaking! I hope you're going to have a wonderful time in CA, have a great trip! And hey, I'm very curious already to see the yarn you're going to bring home with you - hope you'll have more time in the yarn store than you expect to!

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Lady, it was really good to see you while you were down here :-) I'm so glad to finally know about your blog...I caught up all the way from the beginning!
Hope the rest of your trip is a good one. ~bonnie