Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Home Again

We're back in Juneau, safe and sound after a wonderful visit to California. Dear friends and family, sunshine and good restaurants .. oh and some yarn store visiting too.

I had the best fun and laughter and love-filled Mom's Night Out with the most wonderful group of women anywhere - the best friends a girl could hope to have (and it turns out, some of my favorite lurkers). The next day, in the midst of a larger get together at the community pool, I found my self in a mini knitting circle with (blogless) Helen from my old Thursday night group and Amputeehee. What a treat! Thanks so much for coming to see us. I'm going to save news about my Yarn store visits and purchases for another time because I'm finally at liberty to display Judy's Birthday Socks:

I've been keeping quiet about them since unveiling the yarn I Kool-Aid dyed on Mother's day, because I didn't want to ruin the surprise. Her birthday is still a week away, but since I had the opportunity to deliver them in person, I gave them to her ahead of schedule.

It's not exactly sock-wearing season in California (let alone wool-sock-wearing season), but I think they were much appreciated anyway. Judy even claims to like the persistent grape smell .. she's that kind of friend. We had a wonderful visit complete with family time and time spent lingering late into the night over tea, at her kitchen table, much like old times. I miss you already, Judy!!





Judy's Socks' Specs:
Yarn: Dale Baby Ull Superwash Wool. Two 50 gram balls which began as Mid-Grey
Dyed: With Kool-Aid. I used 6 packets of Lemon-Lime and 5 each of theBerry Blue and Grape.
Needles: US 1 dpns
Pattern: Ann Norling's Basic Adult Socks

When all was said and done, I was VERY pleased with how well the stripes matched. I was afraid they wouldn't so I knit each sock from it's own ball, thinking it would be better if the pattern was at least consistent within each sock. Their "matching-ness" was a happy surprise.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Wheee!!! You're back!!! And the socks are GREAT!!! I love them! Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures ...

Hilary

Anonymous said...

So good to have you back! Gosh, these socks are absolutely awesome, I looove the colors, what a great job you did with them!
It seems you had such a fantastic time in CA - looking forward to seeing many pics of your trip!

bunchkin said...

Yippee! Another Alaska blogger! I am in Anchorage. You're so lucky to be able to get "out" this summer. I haven't been out of Alaska in 3 1/2 yrs. I love living here, but a change of scenery every once in a while would be nice! A beach or two maybe.
Though how can I complain with the beautiful views I have right outside my window ?